Women’s basketball loses second straight game to Holy Cross, 73-63

Dropping their second straight game and third out of the last four, the AU women’s basketball team lost to Holy Cross, 73-63, Feb. 16 in Worcester, Mass.

Junior guard Alexis Dobbs poured in a season-high 19 points as senior center Stephanie Anya pulled down a career-best 12 rebounds and career-high eight offensive rebounds in the Eagles’ (13-11, 6-4 PL) loss to the Crusaders (13-12, 5-5 PL). Anya became just the 16th player in AU history to record 500 rebounds and now stands at 507.

“There are a couple of positives we can take away from today's game in that we executed pretty well offensively and didn't turn it over," Head Coach Matt Corkery told aueagles.com. "But if you want to win games you have to defend. We didn't defend."

The Eagles nearly tripled the Crusaders’ marks in points off turnovers and second-chance points but gave up 44 points in the paint. Holy Cross shot over 60 percent from the field and 40 percent from beyond the arc while AU knocked down less than 37 percent of their total shots.

AU got off to a quick start as they scored the first four points of the game, but the Crusaders went on a 10-0 run and never relinquished their lead. Holy Cross held a 37-29 lead at the break and again outscored AU in the second half.

Sophomore guard Jen Dumiak helped anchor the Eagles’ scoring attack as she recorded 17 points off 50 percent shooting from the field and a 3-for-5 mark from beyond the arc. Dobbs dished out a team-high six assists while she, Anya and Dumiak all posted multiple steals.

The Eagles are back in action Feb. 20 at 7 p.m. as they take on Patriot League-leading Navy (15-9, 8-1 PL) in Bender Arena. Corkery is still searching for his 100th career win with AU as the Eagles look to defeat the team who gave them their first conference loss in nearly two years back on Jan. 23 in Annapolis, Md.