Hot shooting Black Knights beat mens basketball, sweep season series

The United States Military Academy’s (14-13, 7-5 PL) aggressive offense dismantled the Eagles’ (10-17, 5-7 PL) defense for a 72-58 win over AU Feb. 23 on Senior Day at Bender Arena. According to the Patriot League, this is the first time Army has swept the season series against AU.

Army’s offense attacked down-low and beyond the arc. AU’s defense allowed the Black Knights to shoot over 50 percent from the field as well as from behind the 3-point line.

The Eagles’ offense kept pace with Army’s offensive onslaught for the first 25 minutes of the game. AU even took the lead right out of halftime with back-to-back 3-pointers. The Black Knights incessant attacking style eventually tired out the Eagles.

With 13 minutes left to play, the Black Knights started to leave the Eagles behind. Army kept the pedal to the floor with pressure on defense, excellent passing and a constant flow of 3-pointers.

As AU’s offense petered out, Army stretched their lead to double digits.

The Eagles also hurt themselves with a bevy of turnovers. AU turned the ball over 16 times. Army feasted off the Eagle miscues, turning AU’s turnovers into 23 points.

Both teams poured in 3-point shots, combining to shoot 52 percent from behind the 3-point line. The Eagles went 9-18 while the Black Knights shot a blistering 13-24 from deep. Army’s top shooter Ella Ellis, hit four of his seven three point attempts. AU senior Mike Bersch went 3-of-5 and teammate John Schoof went 3-for-3 from three-point land.

Before the game, the Eagles honored Danny Munoz, Blake Jolivette, Warren Flood, Jr., Stephen Lumpkins, Jordan Borucki (who did not play due to injury) and Daniel Fisher as part of Senior Day. The six seniors combined for 36 points, 12 rebounds and 14 assists in the game.

The Eagles will finish off the regular season on the road. AU travels to Bucknell Feb. 27. Then it will finish up March 2 against Lafayette.