Terao records two upsets for wrestling at Keystone

Sophomore 125-pound David Terao recorded two upsets en route to picking up his first individual title of the season Nov. 25 as the wrestling team partook in the Keystone Classic.

After an opening round and quarterfinal victories, Terao defeated No. 8 Anthony Zanetta of Pittsburgh in an 11-3 major decision. In the final, Terao upset No. 16 Rob Deutsch of Rider in a 3-1 sudden victory decision.

“David Terao won a very tough weight class and showed that he will compete with the best this season,” head coach Teague Moore told AUEagles.com

No.12 Daniel Mitchell also posted a strong tournament, placing second in the 197-pound class. Mitchell’s road to the final included pinning Harvard’s James Fox in 4:31 in the quarterfinals. In the finals, Mitchell dropped a 6-3 decision to Bloomsburg’s No. 10 Richard Perry.

“Danny Mitchell pulled two big wins on his way to second place. He executed a neutral offense that he had not done yet this year,” Moore said.

133-pounder Esteban Gomez-Rivera also reached the podium, placing sixth in his bracket. After earning an opening round victory Gomez-Rivera dropped to a quarterfinal match, sending him to the consolation bracket. He won his first two matchups in the consolation bracket, before dropping in the semi-finals, and then dropping in the fifth place bout in a 3-0 decision to Boston University’s Dane Harlowe.

At 157 pounds, John Boyle picked up a technical fall in his opening round matchup and a major decision in the quarterfinals before dropping in the semifinals and then losing his consolation match.

AU finished 10th in the tournament as Bloomsburg took the team title.

“Overall we made positive improvements from our Wisconsin dual. We executed better and with purpose and overall it was a good day of wrestling,” Moore said.

The Eagles next matchup will be at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational Dec. 6 and 7.

esaltzman@theeagleonline.com