Charli XCX and her all-female openers bring girl power to U Street

Charli XCX and her opening acts LIZ and Kitten show that girls really do run the world, bringing much needed fun and power to U Street Music Hall on Nov. 16, courtesy of the 9:30 Club.

It was an early show with doors opening at 6 p.m., but the line outside U Street Music Hall trailed past the doors and curled around the corner for hours. Concert goers were buzzing about Charli XCX, excited after hearing good reviews of her live shows.

The first opening act LIZ, an up-and-coming LA-based R&B singer, started the show off with smooth, melodious jams. Two tightly synchronized back-up dancers added style and toughness to her set. Dressed in an oversized sports jersey and black beanie, LIZ seemed as if she was trying too hard to fit into that “R&B princess” role she thinks she has to fill. Luckily her vocals and charm managed to shine past the gimmicks.

A complete departure from the LIZ’s pop and R&B fusion, the second opening act, Kitten, had the crowd jumping wildly with their brand of rock n’ roll. Lead singer Chloe Chaidez made the set with her incredible energy and daring attitude, climbing on top of speakers, swinging from the ceiling and crowd-surfing fearlessly. Though her voice was sometimes overpowered by the loud instrumentals from her band, there was nothing that could stop her performance as she sang her lungs out to the blasting of shredding guitars and driving drums.

Finally, when Charli XCX made her entrance – complete in platform sneakers and a pure white slip that will surely be replicated by dozens of stylish fans – the audience nearly broke down the barricades in their excitement. A sea of hands reached out, desperate to touch the effortlessly cool singer as she started her set with one of her hit singles “What I Like.”

Charli XCX’s all-female band were dressed in black as she stood apart in her all-white ensemble. They owned the stage while also singing with complete control over the sound of screaming, devoted fans.

A more pop rock version of “I Love It,” the song she wrote for Icona Pop, had the crowd singing along breathlessly while “Take My Hand” had the singer reaching into the audience and literally taking the hands of dozens of smitten devotees.

For the encore, Charli XCX had Chaidez from Kitten return on stage for guitar and background vocals for a fun rendition of Aaron Carter’s “I Want Candy.” The night ended with the dreamy “Grins”.

Though her debut album “True Romance” was just released last April, Charli XCX has a new single “SuperLove” out now in anticipation for her upcoming sophomore album expected for release next year.