AUDIOPHILE 10.30

Innanetape – Vic Mensa
Vic Mensa’s debut album-length mixtape invites a few comparisons. The former Kids These Days frogman wields a stop-start sing-rap style that recalls fellow Chicagoan Chance the Rapper (featured on “Tweakin’”). Elsewhere, Mensa’s syllable-heavy delivery evokes Earl Sweatshirt, albeit with less detachment. These similarities aside, Mensa proves to be engaging while shuttling between a conventional rhyme style and a melodic flow that transforms into a full-on croon. The album’s sound is equally eclectic with touches of drum-heavy neo-soul (“Orange Soda”), upbeat jams (“Lovely Day”) and more straightforward hip-hop (“YNSP”). The furthest departure is “Run,” which sounds like an update of Prince’s high-paced 80’s rock. Soulful guest vocals from Jesse Boykins III on “Magic” and BJ The Chicago Kid on the spectacular “Holy Holy” complement Mensa’s own tuneful performances.
A variety of styles and tempos are juggled to great effect, making for one of the year’s better mixtapes.
RIYL: Chance the Rapper, The Internet, Earl Sweatshirt
-Rafael Smith, The Funk Box on Wednesday 4-5 p.m.

ilp- Kwes
This British musician draws from all around the musical world on his newest album “ilp,” which combines interesting beats with delicate vocals and instrumentation. Tracks “36” and “B_shf_l” showcase soulful vocal lines positioned with mesmerizing beats featuring a wide array of percussive sounds, including many different bells. Under all of his tracks is an overall warm, embracing quality. “Flower” and a few other similar tracks feature deep bass lines contrasting with his soft, understated voice. Kwes takes a creative, experimental path with his electronic music that makes the listener to listen carefully to the complex, nuanced sound that he has created.
RIYL: The xx, James Blake, Milosh – Jack Fitzpatrick, Soul Beat on Wednesday 8-10 a.m.

The Swamps- Widowspeak
Roll up those jeans because this third release from Washington’s indie-folk trio sounds exactly like what its title evokes. Only 20 minutes long, the meld of acoustic guitar, banjo, organic percussion, minimal electronics and quirky piano accents make this EP just long enough for a midday dream. Strong connections can be made to Mazzy Star, but Widowspeak is livelier with less depressing lyrics. Check out the sweet “Brass Bed,” a funny mix of sunny songwriting and lyrics begging to never let the day end, and also the lovely vocals in dreamy “The Swamps.”
RIYL: Veronica Falls, Mazzy Star, Seapony, Kurt Vile
-Molly Pfeffer,” Velvet Sessions”:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Velvet-Sessions/568577579828630?ref=br_tf on Tuesday 6-8 p.m.

Sonic Bloom- Night Beats
Night Beats are a Seattle garage rock group, with the reverb turned way up, playing psychedelic rock. The vocals are overdriven and drenched with echo, along with the guitars with plenty of spring reverb and even tremolo on some tracks. The record is all moderately paced psych/garage, until “Catch A Ride To Sonic Bloom,” which starts off with a sitar drone. This is when the album starts to be a little more out there and by “Rat King,” the album starts to give some weird vibes. After that they whip out the saxophone and an electric piano in “At The Gates” and the album ends with the eight minute jam of “The New World.” All in all “Sonic Boom” is a must-listen for a fan of psychedelic rock, reverb, the subconscious mind or just fun garage rock because these guys know how to do it.
RIYL: Allah-Lahs, The Black Angels, The Growlers – Drew Sher, Fer Sher on Friday 4-6 p.m.