AU residence halls prohibit subletting, even for Inauguration

Those who planned to rent out their homes or dorm rooms for Inauguration are facing strict regulations.

AU holds a strict policy that prohibits students from subletting residence hall rooms on campus. The policy also states that any guests of students may not sleep in public areas, such as the lounge, and must remain with the student at all times while in the dorms.

Housing and Dining also requires students to remain with their guest while they are on campus, according to a Inauguration tip sheet from Housing & Dining.

“Residents should obtain roommate permission before inviting a guest to stay in [their] room,” according to Housing and Dining regulations.

The Berkshire Apartments, located down the street from the AU campus, also prohibit subletting, according to the Berkshire information desk.

During the 2009 Inauguration, Politico reported a few students disagreed with the policies held by their residence halls, with some even listing their apartments for $1,000 a night on Craigslist.

Currently, one Tenleytown resident is asking for $600 for the week of the 2013 Inauguration while an apartment in nearby Georgetown is listed for $150 per night, $1,050 for the week, according to postings on Craigslist.

Despite the possible influx of money, rental advertisements present themselves as opportunity for robbery, warns The Washington Post writer Clinton Yates.

“[The ads] seem to say: ‘I’m going to be out of town! I have a plethora of useful electronics and other luxury goods pictured here! All you have to do is act like you want to rent my place, and you’ll know exactly where to come get my stuff, free of charge!’” he warns in the article.

Matt Dewilde, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs, is hosting a friend for Inauguration and is unbothered by AU’s regulations.

“I’m just helping out a friend, letting him sleep on the floor for a night. And with Inauguration, we aren’t on campus for long, so its not a big deal.”

sgaber@theeagleonline.com