How to make the best of the 4th of July in D.C.

What better way to celebrate the 4th of July in our nation's capital than with fireworks, concerts, parades and much more? Check out our list of best D.C. events on Independence Day and try them out yourself:

1. The National Independence Day Parade

Grab your friends (and probably a rain jacket too) to watch the downtown parade featuring floats, a few celebrities and bands from all over the country.

Where: Constitution Avenue from 7th Street to 17th Street

When: 11:45 a.m.

Price: free

2. A Capitol Fourth, a concert

Enjoy music by the National Symphony Orchestra, Barry Manilow and Darren Criss while watching a D.C. sunset on the lawn of the U.S. Capitol. For those outside of the D.C. area this summer, catch the event live on PBS.

Where: West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol

When: Gates open at 3 p.m. and the concert begins at 8 p.m.

Price: free

3. DC's Fireworks Spectacular on the National Mall

Don't settle for second best when it comes to fireworks. Instead of watching them on TV or from your apartment window, run down to the National Mall to see them up sparkle and shine up close.

Where: Viewing areas on the National Mall near the Washington Monument and Reflecting Pool will be accessible only through secure access points and will fill up quickly, so get there early. Other viewing areas include the U.S. Capitol, the Lincoln Memorial, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, the Thomas Jefferson Memorial, East Potomac Park, rooftop bars or apartment buildings in Washington DC and the White House Ellipse.

When: 9:10 p.m.

Price: free

4. Nationals Game

Celebrate the 4th of July with America's favorite pastime: baseball. Find some cheap tickets and maybe even splurge on a hot dog and freedom fries to support our local team, the Nationals, as they play against the Brewers on this patriotic day.

Where: Nationals Park

When: 11:05 a.m.

Price: Tickets are available at The Washington Nationals website. Price varies.

5. Smithsonian Folklife Festival

Indulge in D.C.'s ethnic culture by exploring this annual festival. Watch musical performances, try new foods and learn to dance in celebration of America's diversity.

When: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Where: National Mall

Price: free