Leininger breaks program record in 10,000-meter run

Senior Mark Leininger made history as he ran to a record time in the 10,000-meter run in the Colonial Relays April 6 and 7 in Williamsburg, Va.

The track and field team rolled into Williamsburg coming off solid performances from the previous weekend at the nearby Maryland Invitational. Leininger set the tone for the weekend in the 10K by posting an IC4A time of 29:30.97, good for second place at the meet. The previous record, Pat McAdie’s time of 29:42.02, was set in 2005.

In the same race, senior Mark Allen and junior John Pope posted the third and fourth fastest times ever at AU, which were also good for third and fourth at the meet. Pope continued his hot streak as he previously ran to a runner-up finish in the 1,500-meter run at the Maryland Invitational.

On the women’s side, juniors Alexandra Tyburski and Julia Sullivan highlighted the day. It was a day for the record books all around as Tyburski raced to a personal best of 4:35.06 in the 1,500-meter run. Her time was good for 16th place and the sixth-fastest 1,500-meter finish in AU women’s track and field history. Sullivan posted the 10th fastest time in program history in the same event, coming across the line in 25th place at 4:39.25.

Overall, the men’s team placed 19th at the meet with 19 points. It’s been a busy few weeks for the Eagles, with the team venturing up to Lewisburg, Penn. next weekend. Both squads will compete at the Bucknell Bison Outdoor Games on April 13 and 14. After that, the Eagles will attend the Penn Relays, followed by the Patriot League Outdoor Championships.