Spring SG elections might be put on hold

Student Government postponed the vote on the Board of Election’s new spring election policies until Feb. 24, which could delay the spring elections, according to Board of Elections chair Michael Morgante.

The Senate must confirm the election policy book, which outlines election rules for candidates, at least three weeks before an election, according to Morgante. The BOE submitted the new policies to SG on Feb. 13 and any further delay will push the spring election schedule back, according to Morgante.

The nomination convention, where candidates are officially nominated to run for spring elections, was scheduled for Feb. 27, but the BOE cancelled the information sessions on Feb. 18 and Feb. 21 that would inform potential candidates of the election policies.

SG voted to have the new policies reviewed by the SG Committee on Rules and Privileges, which reviews all legislation that could affect how SG governs, because senators received the proposed policy book only 24 hours before meeting on Feb. 17, according to Class of 2016 Sen. Glenn Holmes.

The committee will review and amend the policies before the Senate debates on the policy book on Feb. 24, according to SG Senate Speaker Alex Iannacio.

“Sending it back to [the Committee on Rules and Privileges] will allow for closer scrutiny with more than 24 hours and it will allow people to digest [the new policies],” Class of 2015 Sen. Harry Adler said.

“If we keep pushing this off, it’s seriously going to impact how we run our biggest election of the year,” Morgante said.

kschneck@theeagleonline.com