Despite career performance from Lugovina, lacrosse losses to UMBC

The AU women’s lacrosse team dropped a tough 15-12 game against visiting University Maryland Baltimore County Feb. 18, falling to 0-2 on the season.

The Eagles (0-2, 0-0 PL) came into this game after losing their season-opener to William and Mary (1-1, 0-0 CAA), 17-13, Feb. 13 in Williamsburg, Va.

UMBC (1-0, 0-0 Am. East) drew first blood to go up 1-0. However, AU quickly responded and rallied behind goals from junior attacker Alex Lugovina and senior midfielder Emily Burton to go up 2-1. The Eagles and Retrievers then traded goals for the rest of an even first half until senior attacker Kimberly Collins struck with 29 seconds left in the first half to score and gave AU a 7-6 lead heading into the half.

UMBC came out of the half with a vengeance though, tying the game less than two minutes into the period. Kristen Bilney then scored for the Retrievers to put UMBC up 8-7.

AU rallied to tie the game up with 24:46 on the clock through an unassisted goal by junior midfielder Emily Maher.

UMBC responded by scoring three straight to make the score 13-9.

Maher then notched another goal, followed by a score from junior midfielder Nicole Lombardo.

However, Lindsay Cox stepped up for UMBC to give the Retrievers another goal and pushed the lead to 14-11. Both teams would score one more time for a 15-12 finish and a UMBC win.

Lugovina was the high scorer for the Eagles on the day with a career-high four goals while Burton totaled three for AU. Maher and senior midfielder Samantha Marshall both chipped in with two assists for the Eagles while Maher grabbed three ground balls.

AU also won the battle of draw controls on the day, 14-12, with Maher’s five leading the Eagles. On the defensive end, freshman goalie Teal Harrison posted six saves.

For UMBC, Lindsay Cox and Alyssa Semones led the Retrievers with four goals each. Abby Wilson had two assists for UMBC and Kendall Mason had five saves.

The Eagles will look to get their season back on track with a game against visiting High Point University (1-1, 0-0 Big South). The home game will take place at Jacobs Field Feb. 24 at 11 a.m. and will be broadcasted live on Eagles Vision TV.