Regan races to third-place finish at Navy Invitational

Throughout the cross-country season, Mark Allen and John Pope regularly led the way for the Eagles. At the season-opening Navy Invitational, it was Nick Regan’s turn.

Nick Regan paced the AU men’s indoor track team Dec. 1 in Annapolis, Md., finishing third of 27 runners in the 3,000-meter run. Coming off a cross-country season in which he earned All-Patriot League Second Team honors, Regan edged Navy’s Jeramy Triplett for the third-place result.

Tom Woermer provided AU with its second top-10 finish in the event when he crossed the finish line ninth. Woermer posted a personal-best time of 8:50.95 at last year’s Navy Invite, and completed the 3,000-meter course in 8:37.30 this year.

The Eagles earned another pair of top-10 finishes in the 1,500-meter event.

Mark Leininger came in fourth out of 24 competitors, missing out on third place by less than a second. Pope followed his teammate with a seventh-place finish. Leininger and Pope have both earned spots on the All-Patriot League team in the past and will be key runners for the Eagles throughout the indoor season.

The relay team of David Hamilton, Max Hamilton, Constantine Matsakis and David McCombs Jr. gave the Eagles their fifth and final top-10 finish at Navy, placing fourth in the distance medley event.

The AU women’s indoor track team will begin its season at Navy Dec. 6. Following that meet, both the men and women will be off until January.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com