Zimmerman lifts AU women’s basketball to first win of season

With 13.8 seconds left, Arron Zimmerman scored the game-winning, three-point shot to lift the AU women’s basketball team to a 69-68 victory over Elon University Nov. 24 in Elon, N.C..

“Our team really battled against a tough Elon team on the road,” AU head coach Matt Corkery told AU Athletics. “It was a game of runs and we made some big plays down the stretch. It’s a quality win we can build from for sure.”

The back-and-forth contest against Elon (2-2) featured 12 ties and 16 lead changes.

Jen Dumiak led the Eagles (1-3) in scoring with 17 points, while teammate Alexis Dobbs chipped in 16 points and six assists.

Geleisa George and Ti'Asia McGeorge recorded four steals each to lead AU’s defensive effort.

The Eagles will take on Maryland-Baltimore County in their home opener Nov. 27 at 7 p.m. in Bender Arena.

AU will rely heavily on Dumiak and Dobbs. Dumiak leads the team with nearly 17 points per game and shoots above 46 percent from beyond the arc, while Dobbs leads the Eagles in assists per game with nearly five per contest.