Neighbor Lucero challenges student in local race

Lucero, Wisniewski running to represent Berkshire, Avalon and Greenbriar Apartments

Silvia Lucero is the non-AU student candidate to watch Nov. 6.

Lucero, who is running against School of Public Affairs junior Joe Wisniewski to represent residents of the Berkshire, Avalon and Greenbriar Apartments in ANC3D10, said she chose to run for office because she has lived in the community for 10 years.

“I wanted to give back to the community where I reside,” she said in a message to The Eagle.

The candidate graduated from West Virginia Wesleyan College with a bachelor of arts in public relations. She currently works for the Marriott Residence Inn.

Lucero said she believes in maintaining a discussion between neighbors and the University in order to improve relations.

In contrast to Wisniewski, Lucero said the Residential Parking Protection Act was a good piece of legislation.

“If students are living in the neighborhood then they should also partake in the same laws that all residents have to abide by,” she said in the message.

“In the end this sounds like it will help the students find parking easier for more than two hours.”

agreco@theeagleonline.com