TV Pick: Fringe

Brace yourselves, sci-fi fans: Fringe Fridays are back.

Season five picks up where the mind-blowing fourth-season episode “Letters of Transit” left off. After being preserved in amber, our heroes have reunited 25 years in the future to find their world transformed into a dystopian, Observer-ruled society.

FBI Fringe Division team members Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv), Walter Bishop (John Noble), Peter Bishop (Joshua Jackson) and Astrid Farnsworth (Jasika Nicole) are now tasked with aiding in the resistance of the Observer regime, along with a little help from Peter and Olivia’s now-grown daughter Etta (Georgina Haig).

Since the beginning, “Fringe” has skillfully managed to balance its “freak-of-the-week” format and overarching mythology with relatable character development and a surprising amount of poignancy. For every plot twist, universe jump and alternate timeline, viewers are rewarded with an emotionally resonant subplot, be it an exploration of a scientist’s God complex or a touching search for forgiveness.

Although the show’s chances of returning for a fifth season initially looked slim at the start of renewal season, fans can now rest assured knowing that the show runners will have the opportunity to resolve this often weird, always wonderful show on their own terms.