New grant programs reward clubs for multicultural engagement, community service

Correction appended

The AU Club Council started two new grant programs this year to promote multicultural engagement, community service and interaction between clubs.

The multicultural engagement grant gives money to clubs who co-sponsor an event with a club focused on issues related to race, ethnicity, disability, religion, sexual orientation and/or gender identity and expression, according to AUCC President Ki’tay Davidson, a junior in the School of Public Affairs.

Grant recipients are eligible to receive funding from AUCC for up to 50 percent of the events costs, according to the AUCC website.

The community service incentive program is given to clubs who attend or plan an event in conjunction with a community service related organization.

“We’re kind of looking for more hands-on learning,” Davidson said.

AUCC will cover the percentage of the cost equal to the percentage of club members that attended the event.

The South Asian Student Association was the first recipient of the multicultural engagement grant. They used the money to fund Jalwa, a celebration of Southeast Asian culture, on Oct. 19.

The event cost $1,500 total and they received $200 from the AUCC grant. Between 200 and 300 people showed up to the event co-hosted by other on-campus groups and office, according to SASA member Ritanch Hans.

“We didn’t really get much, but still it was helpful,” Hans said.

African Student Organization, Queers and Allies and STAND have also received grants for events this year.

Correction: This article previously misidentified the South Asian Student Association as the "Southeast Asian Student Association."

rzisser@theeagleonline.com