From 'Mad Men' to 'Game of Thrones,' spend your summer catching up on popular TV shows online

They say that summer is made for beach parties and poolside barbecues.

Wrong.

Summer is the perfect time to take refuge inside the air-conditioned shelter of your home and catch up on all the TV shows you missed because you were too busy stressing over finals. For the sun-hating couch potato and times when you want to take a break from yet another pool party, The Scene has compiled a list of TV series to catch up on (and where to watch them legally) over the long summer months.

thewb.com | "Pushing Daisies"

TheWB.com is a largely unknown streaming site targeted to the 18-24-year- old demographic. However, the website is a virtual goldmine of TV shows. Not only does it include shows on the now-defunct WB network, but it also has some recent, well-written and darker shows such as “Chuck” and “Fringe.” The only downside is that an entire series isn’t available at one time; the site has a system in which they will put up a few episodes at a time, and rotate episodes every two weeks, so that every episode will eventually be available.

One of the best ---- and sadly cancelled ---- shows on TheWB.com is “Pushing Daisies,” a quirky, whimsical, fast-talking show about a sweet pie-maker named Ned who can bring the dead back to life. The show is sweet beyond belief, with witty dialogue that’s a cross between Joss Whedon’s “Buffyspeak” and the pop-culture-saturated lines of “Gilmore Girls.”

Honorable Mentions: “Chuck,” “Fringe,” “The O.C.,” “Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles,” “Batman The Animated Series,” “Smallville,” “Veronica Mars.”

Hulu | "Skins UK"

If you don’t have the money for a Netflix subscription, Hulu is your best bet. Sadly, most of the full series available on Hulu are on Hulu Plus, but if you dig deep enough, you’ll find gold. Hulu regularly updates currently-airing shows that you can watch for weeks before the episodes expire. And there are some British and Korean shows that provide all the episodes online.

One of these British shows is cult favorite “Skins UK.” Not the unnecessary U.S. remake -- the original 2007 series. “Skins UK” tells the stories of a group of teenagers, uninhibited by parents or rules, fully embracing the raciest sides of high school life. All of the episodes up to the most current one are available in their raw and uncensored glory.

Honorable Mentions: “Misfits,” “New Girl,” “Flashforward,” “Quantum Leap,” “Once Upon A Time,” “Community” (Hulu Plus).

HBO Go | "Game of Thrones"

If you have an HBO subscription, HBO Go is free for online streaming. It’s a bit more of a selective service, but it’s a good alternative to Netflix. But considering the quality of some of HBO’s recent shows, it’s not worth giving up your subscription yet.

“Game of Thrones” is HBO’s new flagship show, reinvigorating the fantasy genre for years to come. The show boasts wonderfully-written characters, intelligent dialogue and political intrigue. The first season aired to critical acclaim, and the show is currently in the midst of its second season. The long summer gives you ample time to catch up on the show, and maybe even read one or two of the books.

Honorable Mentions: “True Blood,” “Boardwalk Empire,” “Entourage,” “The Sopranos,” “The Wire.”

Netflix | "Mad Men"

The go-to website when it comes to streaming TV shows and movies, Netflix has started something akin to a TV revolution, with swarms of people flocking to the site to catch up on all the shows they had heard of, but had never seen. Thanks to Netflix, boredom has been alleviated, and productivity is decreasing every day, but at least we get quality television. If you have a Netflix subscription (at $7.99 a month for unlimited streaming), then your summer is virtually saved from any semblance of boredom.

If you have yet to watch any shows on Netflix, make sure to put “Mad Men” at the top of your list. Universally hailed as one of the smartest and most enthralling shows on TV right now, “Mad Men” is the perfect show to watch during the long summer days. The smoky 1960s settings, the classy outfits and the intriguing interactions of pretty people behaving badly all make up a recipe for a great show to watch in the haze of summer.

Honorable Mentions: “Breaking Bad,” “Doctor Who,” “Firefly,” “The Walking Dead,” “Dexter,” “Downton Abbey,” “How I Met Your Mother,” “30 Rock,” “Parks & Recreation” (There are too many great shows to count on Netflix, so don’t get mad if one of your favorites aren’t mentioned).