Chris Morgan and his dance class practice their moves in rehearsal for Spring Dance Concert “VHF: Very High Frequency.” Morgan was greatly inspired by modern dance for this showcase.

AU Dance Company lets out ‘Very High Frequency’

Dance is generally stereotyped as a cold, feminine and old-fashioned art form. However, in the classrooms of the Katzen Arts Center, the AU Department of Performing Arts is blooming with youth, energy and talent, all showcased in last weekend’s Spring Dance Concert, “VHF: Very High Frequency.”

“We’re a quiet program in Katzen where students do exceptional work,” Artistic Director Melanie George said. “Every day we do hard work and pour our blood, sweat and tears into it. Our job is just to make everything look easier than it is.”

The April 9 dance concert featured eight pieces, including four student-choreographed dances and two guest works, all ranging from ballet to jazz to modern dance. CityDance Ensemble’s Christopher K. Morgan, who also teaches a course in modern dance at AU, choreographed one of the guest works.

“In my creation of a piece, I try to feature and challenge the dancer,” Morgan said. “Whether it’s professional or AU dancers, I try to challenge myself to find connections in movement.”

Morgan’s piece, titled “Currency Exchange,” was influenced by his experiences abroad while traveling with CityDance. The modern dance is comprised of abstract images set to an Arabian-sounding score composed by Egyptian composer Hamza El Din.

“Modern dance has a lot of potential,” Morgan said. “I’m mystified by the structure and story in ballet, but modern has a much more expressive movement.”

Modern was prominently featured on the concert, with four of the eight pieces in the style of modern dance. The best of these was that of the other guest choreographer Kim Karpanty, “(Meta)Morphoses,” an original, inspired and wonderfully performed dance that turned primal Tarzan-like movements into graceful poses.

That is not to say the students’ work should be devalued. Rachel Hoopes’ modern dance “The Forms of Women” was ethereal, emotional and delightfully minimalist. Samantha Schreier’s jazz piece “The Tourists” was cute and quirky, providing a much-needed does of hilarity in an otherwise somber dance concert. And Ellie van Bever’s ballet “To Move Forward” was a wonder to watch, featuring dancers in orange jumpsuits pirouetting to Bach’s “Concerto for Two Violins in D Minor.”

“The four wonderful student works really showed their growth as choreographers,” George said. “That investment is something you can’t manufacture.”

But the success of the concert wasn’t just the product of a few talented individuals. It was the hard work and commitment of dozens of talented dancers, teachers and staff.

“Because we’re such a small program, my agenda as head of the program is to encourage the growth of the community,” George said. “We’re always working with people, always in the moment. Nothing exists twice. My teaching and choreography is all about people dealing with people.”

This sense of community was also a deciding factor in George and Morgan’s audition process. Morgan described watching what happens on the sides of the room rather than just focusing on the people onstage. George said that most people such as herself spend very little time onstage, so community is very important.

“Willingness to work together is as important as strong techniques,” said Morgan. “We’re responsible to the creative process and to the art.”

hbui@theeagleonline.com