Students, faculty make plans to honor Sue Marcum

A memorial service for Professor Sue Marcum will be held next Tuesday in Bender Arena at 8 p.m.

Marcum was tragically killed Monday, Oct. 25, in an apparent homicide. Her death prompted an outpouring of grief from those touched by her kindness and dedication.

The AU flag near the North side shuttle stop was flown at half-staff to recognize the loss of the beloved professor.

The Kogod School of Business announced that any donations made in Marcum’s honor will be put toward a scholarship fund she started in 2009. Each year, it goes toward an AU alum who chooses to pursue a Master of Science in Accounting at the business school.

Kogod students, faculty and staff also agreed to run the Rockville 10K/5K in her honor because Marcum planned to run it as her first 5K.

Subomi Johnson, the President of the Kogod Accounting Club, said he was helping Marcum to train for this 5K race.

Marcum was the faculty adviser for the Accounting Club. Several members of the accounting club will be among those running the race in her honor, according to Johnson.

Johnson, a senior in Kogod, said Marcum could be counted on for help with any problem and had a lot of time and patience for her students.

Johnson said he will miss being able to call Marcum whenever he needed her.

“She was not just a professor, she was more like a friend,” he said.

The students who befriended Marcum said the professor often went beyond her requirements as a professor or a club faculty advisor to help them.

Marcum was inducted into the Alpha Kappa Psi business fraternity as a faculty brother in the fall of 2008, according to its president, Bill Killion. The fraternity selects one faculty brother every year to join the organization and help its members better understand accounting and finance.

Marcum provided valuable help for the organization, according to Killion.

Even when Marcum could not attend certain AKPsi events, she would make sure to tell the fraternity brothers she would be available to help with anything they might need, Killion said.

Killion said he appreciated that Marcum would “go the extra mile” to help students and the members of AKPsi.

Killion and Johnson said their groups are still in the process of deciding on what kind of event to organize in Marcum’s honor.

Staff writer Sarah Parnass contributed to this report.