Sports briefs

AU swimmers get share of top finishes at Rutgers meet

The AU men's and women's swim teams combined for eight top-five finishes in the first two days of the Rutgers Invitational on Friday and Saturday.

Seniors Val Fomenko and Kevin Falkenstein led AU taking individual wins, Fomenko in a tie in the men's 100-yard fly and Falkenstein in the men's 100 backstroke Saturday.

Also on Saturday, the men's 200-yard medley took fourth place, while sophomore Meghan Thiel took second in the women's 200-yard freestyle.

Friday, Falkenstein took third in the men's 200-yard individual medley, while Thiel took fifth in the women's 500-yard freestyle and Junior Kaitlin Moughty took fifth in the women's 200-yard individual medley.

Results from the final day of competition were not available at press time.

AU hoops gets mauled by Bobcats, off to 0-5 start

The AU men's basketball team suffered the worst of its five losses in a still-winless season Saturday, falling, 81-50, at Ohio (2-0).

Junior guard Andre Ingram and junior forward Brayden Billbe each scored 10 points for the Eagles. Four Ohio players scored in double figures, led by Sonny Troutman with 18 points.

The Eagles play George Mason Monday at the MCI Center in the BB&T Classic. Tip-off time is approximately 6:30 p.m.

Wharton leads women's track in 1-mile indoor win

Senior Zaia Wharton led the AU women's indoor track team in its first event of the season, Thursday Night's Navy Invitational.

Wharton won the mile with a time of 5:03, the fourth-fastest mark in school history. Sophomore Cathleen Ford took second place in the 3000 meters with a time of 10:30, while the rest of the team combined for nine finishes in the top 10.